
What are you currently working on in your backstroke?
Well, I can always use work on the back half of my races. But that comes with more intention and focus in everyday workouts. Going into NCAA’s and into trials, where everyone has the potential to win, I was very focused on nailing my finishes and turns – trying to make them sharp and effortless. I think over ten years of bad habits has made it difficult to reverse them. Teri always says that whether we like it or not, we are always, always practicing turns and finishes in a workout, so you might as well practice good turns and good finishes.
What is the most common flaw between your good and elite backstrokers?
In very technical terms, elite backstrokers know how to hold good distance per cycle (DPC) with a consistently fast stroke rate. Personally, I struggle with keeping my stroke rate up when I get tired at the end of race. That’s where I can grow. Maximizing those two traits will lead to a optimum success.